First: The purple thang story I promised you from yesterday’s post.
As the holidays drew near last year, I got a group text from one of my kids asking what I wanted for Christmas. I immediately texted back:
2 purple thangs, no typo
What ensued were lively text and phone conversations from several of my kids asking what were purple thangs, where they could be purchased, and why I wanted two. Well, my thoughts were that I needed one for each house.
What I meant in that initial text was that the word thang was correct and not to be confused with thong. I don’t know about you but when I grew up, thongs were a type of plastic/rubber sandal worn on the feet. They had a strap between the big toe and first toe and made a thumping sound as you walked. I wore them all summer and loved them. I attempted to explain this to my kids.
They also couldn’t help but tease me that maybe, just maybe, I really meant 2 purple thongs from today’s definition of them. Somehow, it seemed they weren’t buying my explanations and the more I explained the deeper I was digging my hole. I finally gave up.
And then we gathered for Christmas. I received these from my oldest son.
Oh, and I also got two purple thangs from his wife.
Now onto today’s exciting news:
The weather outside may be frightfully hot or cold, depending on where you live, but the ideas and inspiration coming forth from this year’s bloggers is incredible. Come see for yourself:
Thursday, July 20th
Confessions of a Fabric Addict Sarah’s posted the next set of instructions for the Santa’s Trip Around the World Quilt: a little bit of ripping and a bit more sewing, pressing included.
Cheryl’s Teapots2Quilting Cheryl’s post is filled with 10 more ideas of gifts to make and give away or even keep for yourself. I found one or two that I put on my must make list. Maybe you will, too.
The Inquiring Quilter Are you needing a quick table runner pattern? Jennifer is one talented quilter who’s designed a beauty that will leave you lots of time to either make more or turn some into a quilt. I’m putting this one on my list to make. You might like to, too.
Selina Quilts Selina’s suggesting making some vinyl bags for someone on your list. She’s posted the link to the free pattern and tutorial. She also gives a hint for sewing with vinyl. I often forget about how great these are for gifts and great to use for myself.
Remember to leave comments on each of their Christmas blog hop posts as listed above so you can qualify to win some fabric giveaways of Tula Pink’s new holiday line, Holiday Homies, generously donated by Free Spirit Fabrics!!! You have until July 26th to comment on each blog.
See my post here for a complete listing of all participating blogs on the hop.
I posted my 12 Days of Christmas in July post earlier this week. Click here if you are looking for it. I showed how to make these two projects pictured below: a mini quilted Christmas stocking and a kid’s mini wreath craft. You will also find a complete listing of all the participating blogs on the hop with updated links that will take you directly to their 12 Days of Christmas in July blog hop posts once they are published. This might be helpful if you have to go back and comment for the giveaway or look at directions again for all the projects you want to make.
The first stocking stuffer reveal happened here. Go check it out to find out what I made to put in the stocking as you might want to make one or two for yourself.
Coming soon on Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats:
- Friday, July 21st, 2017 — Tu-Na Quilts: The Second Stocking Stuffer Reveal—You Mean There’s More?
- Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 — Tu-Na Quilts: The Third Stocking Stuffer Reveal—How Much Can It Hold?
- Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 — Tu-Na Quilts: The Fourth and Final Stocking Stuffers Reveal—Does The Fun Have to End?
What I Learned Today:
- Even the Dr. doesn’t know why my cold lingers. “Might be a virus, gargle with warm salt water,” she said. My mom said that and I didn’t even have to pay her.
- I’ve lost 9 pounds. I hope I don’t find them again. Instead of a stash report, I should do a Tu-Na Eats: Pounds Lost report. Nah, not quite as interesting.
- I shall miss the IRobot Roomba. For the last three weeks, my husband and son have been fixing my mother-in-law’s. During the fixing process, it needed lots of testing. Now that it’s fixed, they’ve announced that it is ready to be returned to her. My floors have never been so clean. It’s been fun watching the little robot vacuum move over the floors and carpets with no rhyme or reason or pattern to its cleaning. Kind of reminds me of the way our Italian foreign exchange student mowed the lawn years ago.
Question: Do you buy or make a special Christmas outfit or do you make do with what you have? I am in the phase of making do except this year might be different. If I can continue to lose some weight, I’ll be needing some new duds to wear.
Thanks for stopping by and do come again,
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts