Fall Into a Quilt-A-Long Coming Soon:
I am collaborating with a number of talented designers that I “met” last year on the New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop.
We all were involved in the I Wish You A Merry QAL last year. But this time, instead of just being a host, I’ve designed a block!
Beginning May 15, 2018, we will be offering a FREE, 12″ finished (12.5″ unfinished), fall-themed quilt block every other week for your quilting enjoyment. These blocks will be free until the end of the QAL, November 13, 2018.
There are prizes for Quilting-A-Long
Entering is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Everyone (You must be 18 to be able to enter to win prizes) gets to participate because International entries are welcome! You do NOT need to have a blog to enter. Hosts and designers are not eligible to win.
- Make a block using the designers pattern and take a picture of it. Slight variations of the pattern are ok such as embellishments but keep your block true to the designed pattern if you are entering the giveaway. The block should definitely be recognizable as one made from the free pattern. Deviating too much (or substituting a different block entirely) may cause your entry not to be counted. If you have questions if it’s allowed for the giveaway, please ask before you cut.
- Post a picture of your block before the deadline (one minute before the release of the next block) either on the linky party found on the designer’s blog post, on the Facebook page, or on Instagram #fallintoaqal.
Winners are drawn from the eligible posted blocks and prizes awarded every other week with a mega grand-prize at the end for a finished quilt top using all 12 of the block patterns.
Keep Up with Everyone’s Progress
On Instagram use #fallintoaqal
On Facebook on the Partners in Design Facebook page
If you haven’t joined there yet, request it now.
On Our Blogs
Block patterns will be released every two weeks at midnight EST. See the full schedule below:
- Vanda at Quilt in Piece (Host + Block 1 Designer – May 15th)
- April at JANDA Bend Quilts (Host + Block 2 Designer – May 29th)
- Sherry at Powered by Quilting (Host + Block 3 Designer – June 12th)
- Sandy at Sandy Star Designs (Block 4 Designer – June 26th)
- Kathleen at Kathleen McMusing (Block 5 Designer – July 10th)
- Sherry at Powered by Quilting (Host + Block 6 Designer – July 24th)
- Bobbi at Snowy Days Quilting (Host + Block 7 Designer – August 7th)
- Jennifer at The Inquiring Quilter (Host + Block 8 Designer – August 21st)
- Karen at Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats (Host + Block 9 Designer – September 4th) That’s me! And I’ve got a great pattern for you which I will reveal for you on that day.
- Sandra at Sandra Healy Designs (Block 10 Designer – September 18th)
- Abbie at Sparkle On (Host + Block 11 Designer – October 2nd)
- Vanda at Quilt in Piece (Host + Block 12 Designer – October 16th)
- October 16th – Setting suggestions for your quilt blocks and final link up on blogs
- November 13th at 11:59 EST – Deadline for posting a completed quilt top for entry into the final grand prize drawing. Your quilt does not need to be quilted to enter for the grand prize giveaway. We do love seeing those finished quilts so continue to post pictures as you finish them on our Facebook page even after the giveaway has ended!
Hosts will post construction tips on their blogs for each block as it is released. Designers will post a tutorial of their block on the date of its release as well as the link for the block pattern. I will have links here at each release so you’ll know just who is posting that day and where you can go to see some inspiration for that block as well as where to find the pattern.
A Bit About What to Expect
It’s a Mystery – The blocks will be a mystery until they are released. They will use a variety of techniques: piecing, paper piecing, embroidery, applique. If any of these techniques are new to you, making just one block may whet your appetite to make more or help you improve your skills. You do not need to be an experienced quilter to fall in love with or make these blocks.
The first block will be released on May 15th and the last block on October 16.
Preparing for the First Block Release
Pick Your Fabric – Decide on what fabrics you’ll use: Will you go scrappy? Will you use specifics fabrics? If you go scrappy from your stash, you’re only limited by it’s size. If you’re using specific fabrics, please purchase 2 1/2 yards for the background. I overestimate the amount of fabric I need so I don’t run out. Leftover fabric will not spoil like leftover food. In fact, leftover fabric scraps seem to multiply.
I’ve given you a glimpse into what fabrics may fall into my quilt. Yes, I’m using a variety of spots and dots. I bought a few new dotty ones, raided my stash for spotty ones, and discovered some leftover freckled ones in my scrap basket. It’ll be a fun challenge and, hopefully, won’t become a lesson in what not to do. But the real question is; What will you choose?
Join Me on May 15th
I’ll see you on May 15, 2018 right here on Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats with the first block. I’ll direct you where to find the pattern on the designer’s blog, have a list of the other hosts so you can read their tips, answer any questions you may have, encourage and inspire you to make a block, and show you where to post a picture of it to enter to win BIG.
Will You Fall into This Quilt-A-Long with Me?
What I Learned Today:
- May 1st came very quickly.
- I have 2 more weeks of fun in the sun before I head north to rediscover my other fabric stash and relearn that sewing machine.
- Fall will be here before I know it (in 145 days).
- I still haven’t finished my I Wish You a Merry QAL quilt (You can see all my blocks here).
- Starting a new quilt project is not contingent on finishing the previous one. My quilting rule. Do you live by my quilting rule, too?
- There are 88 days until the 2018 Quilt MN Shop Hop begins. Quilters from all over the U.S. come by car, plane, and train to browse, shop, and visit many unique quilt shops. Are you hopping?
- I think I’m seeing spots.
Question: Will you be quilting-a-long? Yes, I will!
Thanks for stopping by and do come again.
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Linky Tuesdday at Freemotion by the River
Let’s Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication