Some ideas just have to percolate for awhile. That’s the way it was with my snowflake.
I wasn’t sure how to proceed. Should I make a white snowflake on a red background or a gray one? Should I make a gray snowflake on a white background or a red one? Where should I add some ric rac? I asked my husband; no help there. I asked my quilting group friends; some said use the red background while others said use the gray background.
In the end, I decided to make a white snowflake on a gray background. I found some white ric rac with a red thread going thru it and edged both sides of the circle.
I then used some really tiny white ric rac to edge the 8 smaller shapes.
And then I thought for awhile. Should I add more ric rac around the outside of the larger shapes or not? In the end, I decided to and am ever so happy with it.
This was very time consuming.
Then I dabbed a few spots of fabric glue on the underside of these pieces and arranged them between the other points on the square.
I arranged one piece at a time on the square and machine appliqued around it.
Grand Prize Alert
To be eligible for the grand prize of all items pictured below, you must make a quilt top using all twelve of the I Wish You a Merry QAL blocks before January 16th, 2018 and enter by posting a picture on one of the following places:
- on any of the host blogs final layout QAL posts (hosts are listed below just above my What I Learned Today list). You only need to post on one link as they are all connected making your picture show up on all of the blog posts.
- on the I Wish You a Merry Quilt-A-Long Facebook page
- on Instagram and tag # #iwishyouamerryqal.
Thank you to all these wonderful sponsors. One person will be very happy! It could be you if you finish a quilt top using all 12 of the patterns listed above. It’s not too late to start! Some QAL followers are starting their second one and some overachievers have already made four. Please visit our sponsors to show your appreciation.
- Make Modern magazine
- RJR Fabrics
- Island Batik
- Quilting JETgirl
- Warm Company
- Auriful Thread
- Warm Crochet Scissors
Here’s all my blocks for this quilt.
To find info on where to download the patterns, view my blocks, and read some construction tips, check out my links below. Remember, they are free only through January 15, 2018.
- Block 1 – Snowflake here You are here.
- Block 2 – Christmas Tree Farm here
- Block 3 – Santa’s Belt here
- Block 4 – Christmas Memories (ornaments) here
- Block 5 – Snowman here
- Block 6 – Angel here
- Block 7 – Poinsettia here
- Block 8 – Presents here
- Block 9 – Reindeer Games here
- Block 10 – Christmas Lantern here
- Block 11 – North Star here
- Block 12 – Christmas Lights here
Meet the rest of the I Wish You a Merry Quilt-A-Long Hosts as they revealed their version of the snowflake block
Click on the title of their blog for block one.
- Pretty Piney and her final layout and giveaway link here
- Sparkle On and her final layout and giveaway link here
- JANDA Bend Quilts and her final layout and giveaway link here
- Snowy Days Quilting and her final layout and giveaway link here
- The Inquiring Quilter and her final layout and giveaway link here
- Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats You are here. I am still working on my final layout post. In the meantime, do visit the other hosts and post a picture of your finished quilt top on one of their blogs. It doesn’t have to be quilted. You do not need to have a blog to post a picture.
- Slice of Pi Quilts and her final layout and giveaway link here
- SandyStar Designs and her final layout and giveaway link here
- Powered by Quilting and her final layout and giveaway link here
- Quilt in Piece and her final layout here
What I Learned Today:
- There are so many layout options possible for this quilt.
- I do not make decisions quickly.
- I change my mind a lot.
- I tend to try complicated patterns/layouts.
- All of the reasons above are why I am behind with the top.
- I am getting better with machine applique. Before this quilt, I had never done any machine applique.
- I want to do more machine applique.
- I can’t cook and quilt at the same time.
Question: Do you live where it snows or not? If you don’t, do you wish you did? We’ve been escaping the snow the last three years by wintering in Arizona. However, we’ll be heading back to North Dakota for a few days over the holidays. It can be pretty when it snows. If it does when we are there, I’m hoping it doesn’t come with ice, cold, and wind.
If you enjoyed this post and would like to read more about me click here or follow me by email, Bloglovin or WordPress; please subscribe using one those options found in the sidebar on this blog, Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats.
Thanks for stopping by and do come again.
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts
Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward at Em’s Scrapbag
BOMs Away at Katie Mae Quilts
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Let’s Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
WIPS at Silly Mama Quilts
WOW = WIPs On Wednesday at Ester’s Blog