Welcome to the Modern Plus Sign Quilts Book Blog Hop
I’ve always had a fascination with buttons. When I was young, I remember sorting my mama’s button box into piles of colors and then using a needle and thread to string them into long strings. I’m sure my mama did it to keep me busy. Little did she know it would lead me to collecting buttons. You’ll find the buttons pictured below residing inside blue vintage Ball jars on a shelf above my window in my sewing room in my summer house.
Paige and Cheryl asked me to pick a pattern from their new book, Modern Plus Sign Quilts.
I couldn’t help but take the one titled Cute as a Button.
I need pillows on my couch in my living room. My idea was to use these plus signs and lay them on their side to make them resemble how I sew on four hole buttons.
So I sewed 9 blocks into a pillow,
and finished it off with an envelope style back.
I buttoned up this project by appliquéing three small buttons on one side of the back.
I printed the pattern from the book at 40% to give me a button that was close to 2 inches in diameter. It was perfect. Thanks Chery and Paige for letting me be part of your blog hop.
Order your book here:
For autographed books order directly from one of the authors:
Join the Fun Here This Week
Monday, March 19th
Jessica @ Quilty Habit
Cindy @ Hyacinth Quilt Designs
Jennifer @ The Inquiring Quilter
Julie @ The Crafty Quilter
Tuesday, March 20th
Message in a Bottle
Tish @ Tish N Wonderland
Judy @ Sew Some Sunshine
Emily @ The Darling Dogwood
Cute as a Button
Wanda @ Wanda’s Life Sampler
Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Katherine @ Sew Me Something Good
Wednesday, March 21st
Anja @ Anja Quilts
Kate @ Smiles from Kate
Sue @ Sevenoaks Street Quilts
Carole @ From My Carolina Home
Alison @ Little Bunny Quilts
Thursday, March 22nd
Debbie @ Esch House Quilts
Laura @ Slice of Pi Quilts
Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts
Bear Claw Plus
Janice @ Color Creating and Quilting
Joanne @ Quilts by Joanne
Friday, March 23rd
Paige @ Quilted Blooms
Cheryl @ Meadow Mist Designs
Cheryl and Paige have giveaways going on all week. You’ll want to check them out.
And if you missed last week, see my post here for direct links to creative takes on projects posted last week from this book.
If you are looking for my UFO project for Quilt Qwazy Queens post, click here to see my progress on the elephant quilt.
What I Learned Today:
- No one seems to know who started the phrase “Cute as a button” but it sure sounds better than “cute as a bug’s ear.”
- Buttons have been around for thousands of years decorating clothing but it wasn’t until the invention of the button hole that people started using them to keep their pants up or blouses shut.
- Buttons can make a fashion statement. I think my pillow does, too.
- I must be a better sewer than I thought. I did not match up the zigs or zags on this pillow. I originally was going to switch the directions of every other one so I wouldn’t have to worry about matching but then decided it looked too busy. Imagine my surprise when I saw how well the seams matched when I laid them out!
- We’re going to have a large crop of oranges next winter; the orange tree is loaded with blooms.
Question: What do you collect? Besides buttons, I collect cookie cutters. But Tu-Na Helper says that I collect fabric and quilt books. He might be right.
Thanks for stopping by and do come again. If you enjoyed reading and would like to be notified when I post again, please consider following me using email, WordPress, or Bloglovin, buttons are on the sidebar.
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River
Let’s Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Wait Loss Wednesday at The Inquiring Quilter
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilt
TGIFF at Sarah Goer Quilts