Welcome to the eleventh block reveal
for the QAL by the Sea!
This QAL is brought to you by Partners in Design: Where Friends and Fabric Meet.
Presenting: Ab the Crab
This 12.5″ (unfinished) block pattern was created by Abbie Danahy of Sparkle On! with Abbie. You can download it free
HERE ON HER BLOG from now until December 1, 2020 at 7:59 am Eastern time. After then, the patterns in this QAL may not be available anymore or may be available for a small fee through the designer. Don’t delay, download them today.
Tips and Tricks to Constructing this Block
I’ve been a bit crabby lately due to an injured arm and wrist, please see the other hosts for construction tips.
See These Hosts for More Construction Tips
Look for bi-weekly inspiration from these bloggers.
Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — Thanks for stopping by.
Join this QAL
You can join in anytime. Find the complete schedule here. This QAL is divided into three segments each containing four blocks with a two week break between segments for a chance to catch up. Blocks are released on Tuesday mornings at 8 am Eastern time until all 12 blocks have been released. You’ll find the schedule for segment one below.
After you’ve sewn your block, share a picture of it on our Partners In Design Facebook page, or on Instagram with the hashtag #qalbythesea. We, as well as others who are quilting along, want to see them and be able to comment and encourage each other.
Segment 3: October 13, 2020 — November 10, 2020
(Find the blocks for Segment 3 on these Partners in Design blogs)
October 13 — Block 9: Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — Setting Sail
October 20 — Block 10: Sandy @ SandyStar Designs — Sunset Beach
October 27 — Block 11: Abbie @ Sparkle On! — Ab the Crab
November 3 — Block 12: Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — ?
November 3 — Segment 3 Wrap-up and linky provided for prize entry
November 10: 7:59 am Eastern time — Deadline to enter a picture containing all four of these blocks for the Segment 3 Prize package
November 10: Segment 3 Winner Announced
December 1: 7:59 am Eastern Time — Deadline to enter a picture containing all twelve (12) of the blocks for the GRAND PRIZE package.
The Grand Prize is going to be amazing! To enter just make, take and post one picture that contains ALL 12 blocks (they don’t need to be made into a finished quilt top or projects but if you do, be sure that all 12 blocks can be seen). More info coming soon.
Enter to Win Segment and Grand Prizes
Entering to win is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Everyone (You must be 18 to be able to enter to win prizes) gets to participate. There will be two prizes awarded for each segment and for the Grand Prize: U. S. and International. You do NOT need to have a blog to enter.
- Make all four of the blocks in this segment provided to you free of charge for this event. Use your own fabrics and embellish them as you like. If entering the giveaway, the blocks should definitely be recognizable as made from these free patterns. Take one picture with all of them included. Finished projects or a quilt are NOT a requirement for entry.
- Post one picture that contains all four of your blocks and tell us if you are US or Abroad by 07:59 AM EST, November 10th, 2020 either on
- Partners in Design Facebook page OR
- Instagram with the hashtag #qalbytheseaus or #qalbytheseaabroad OR
- Linky found on any of the hosting blogs on the wrap-up post at the end of each segment. **Be sure to comment if you live in the US or Abroad so we know which entry to put your block in. We will not have a separate announcement post for you to use this time. Please post in the main channel where you’ve been posting.
Segment 3: Prizes and Sponsors
Thank you to our sponsors for the following prizes for Segment 3!
One U.S. Winner Receives:
- Fat Quarter bundle of Kismet by Tamarinis for Island Batik
- A 60″ x 60″ batting of Quilter’s Dream Angel (A heavenly Batting made with 100% flame retardant fabric.)
One International Winner Receives:
- A one year Premium e-subscription to the Online Quilt Magazine *(You will gain access to more than 50 pages of great Quilting Stories, Hints and Tips, How To’s and Bonus Patterns each and every month.)
- A PDF pattern from these designers:
Becca Fenstermaker’s Madras About You quilt pattern
Kathleen McCormick’s Blooming Desert quilt pattern
*Bonus* Everyone can sign up for a free standard edition of the Online Quilt Magazine by clicking on the title.
Don’t Miss Out on My Previous QAL by the Sea Posts
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 11 — Crab
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 10 — Sunset
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 9 — Sailboat
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 8 — Mariner’s Compass
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 7 — Waves
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 6 — Stars
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 5 — Fish
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Segment 1 Wrap-Up
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 4 — Sun
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 3 — Signal Flags
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 2 — Turtle
Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 1 — Seashells
Tu-Na Quilts: Announcing the Next Quilt-a-Long with Partners in Design — Introduction and a look at my fabric selection.
What I Learned Today:
- Early deadlines can be a good thing. I am thankful for that and you will be, too. My block 12, which will be released next week, has been finished and the pattern directions completed for several months now giving me time to mend and heal and and allowing you to complete your quilt.
- Four degrees is very cold. Time to head to warmer climates.
- The doctor said that warmth will help.
Question: Crab or Lobster? I was always a lobster fan but then I tried crab!
Thanks for stopping by and do come again.
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts
If you enjoyed this post and would like to read more about me click here. If you don’t want to miss any blocks for the QAL by the Sea, please consider following me by email, Bloglovin or WordPress; just subscribe using one those options found in the sidebar (or below on a mobile device) on this blog, Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats.
At this time, I am not affiliated with any of the items, products, services, or shops that I picture or talk about here on Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats. I just happen to like and use them.
©2020 Karen Thurn Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: “QAL By the Sea” Block 11 Release! | Sparkle On!
You crab is so cute.
Sorry to hear you are still feeling bad….hope it is much better soon. Offer still stands, we’ll zoom and get it done!
Ab. is doing a whole lot better with his arms than you, but he managed to get some rick rack in, Love it. Hope the cast isn’t giving you too much itchiness, and can they now put a lighter one on. Love.XXX
Your Crab is lovely in the very bright red. I was shivering at 13 degrees the past two mornings…but no snow yet which is good since we are trying to finish a deck and it still needs oiling. I’m sure you will enjoy the warmer weather. Hope your arm isn’t paining you too much.
I love your crab block, rick rack is the perfect edge for her shell! Warmer weather soon, doctor’s orders!
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: QAL by the Sea Block 12 | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Segment 3 Wrap-Up | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Your Ab is adorable! The little ridges from the rickrack make him look charming. He really has a lot of personality. I hope your arm is feeling better and you can get back to doing all your wonderful quilting.