Welcome to the first block reveal
for the Destination QAL!
This QAL is brought to you by Partners in Design: Where Friends and Fabric Meet.
Presenting: Canyon Block
This 12.5″ (unfinished) block pattern was created by Sandy Maxfield of Sandy Star Designs. You can download it free on Sandy’s blog from now until November 16th, 2021 at 7:59 am Eastern time. After then, the patterns in this QAL may not be available anymore or may be available for a small fee through the designer.
Tips and Tricks to Constructing this Block
- Get off to a good start! This super cute block has lots of small pieces that need tender loving care. Click on the title below to check out my guide where I’ve gone into detail on all the things that help make the block to be the right size from cutting accurately to keeping the perfect 1/4″ seam allowance. With so many seams, this block has a good chance of becoming too small unless you follow some of my suggestions.
- Use proper pressing techniques! Click on the link below to read my guide on the importance of using proper pressing techniques.
- Throw away your clock. Working with this number of small pieces will take time. Sit, sew, and enjoy the process. Breaking the job into several sewing sessions will ease the stress. Lay out the pieces on an extra cutting or pressing mat or design board to help keep them in order.
See These Hosts for More Construction Tips
Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — Thanks for stopping by.
Join this QAL
You can join in anytime. Find the complete schedule here. Every Tuesday for the next four weeks, a new block will be released until all 12 blocks have been released. This QAL is divided into three segments each containing four blocks with a two week break between segments for a chance to catch up.
When you finish a block, share it on our Facebook group or post a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #DestinationQAL. We enjoy seeing and commenting on each person’s finished blocks.
At the end of each segment, a prize package will be offered. Make all four blocks and follow the directions on the Segment wrap-up post to enter to win. We allow for creative changes and embellishments but each block must be made using the given patterns to be eligible.
Segment 1: July 6, 2021 to August 10
- July 6 — Block 1: Sandy Maxfield @ Sandy Star Designs — Find Block One There
- July 13— Block 2: April Adams @ JANDA Bend Quilts — Find Block Two There
- July 20 — Block 3: Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On! — Find Block Three There
- July 27 — Block 4: Jennifer Fulton @ The Inquiring Quilter — Find Block Four There
- July 27 — Segment 1 Wrap-up and linky provided for prize entry
- August 10th 7:59 am Eastern time — Deadline to enter picture for Segment 1 Prize
- August 10: Segment 1 Prize Winner Announced
Don’t Miss Out on My Previous Destination QAL Posts
Tu-Na Quilts: Announcing the Next Quilt-a-Long with Partners in Design —Introduction and a look at my fabric selection.
What I Learned Today:
- New and improved is not always better.
- I do not like the new WordPress Editor.
- This block reminds me of my many trips to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. If you have never been there, you might like to put it on your bucket list. I once had hiking down, across, and up the other side of the canyon, on my bucket list but I think I waited too long to do that.
- We last visited the Grand Canyon in the spring of 2019. It seems like a very long time ago.
Question: What travel plans do you have or would like to have? We left for Michigan several days ago to see our kids and grandkids who we haven’t seen in a year and a half! If I had my way, I’d own an RV and travel around the country visiting all of our National Parks. It’s on my bucket list. I am not sure I’ll ever be able to cross that one off, too.
Thanks for stopping by and do come again.
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts
At this time, I am not affiliated with any of the items, products, services, or shops that I picture or talk about here on Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats. I just happen to like and use them.