Welcome to the fifth block reveal
for the Destination QAL!
We’re back with Segment Two and block 5.
This QAL is brought to you by Partners in Design: Where Friends and Fabric Meet.
Presenting: Riding the Ferry
This 12.5″ (unfinished) block pattern was created by Kathleen Scargle McCormick of Kathleen McMusing. You can download it free on Kathleen’s blog from now until November 16th, 2021 at 7:59 am Eastern time. After then, the patterns in this QAL may not be available anymore or may be available for a small fee through the designer.
Tips and Tricks to Constructing this Block
- Keep it Together! This delightful block has a fair amount of little pieces. Follow Kathleen’s suggestion and print a second cutting chart to use as labels. You’ll be so glad you did.
- Organization is Key to Keeping it Together! When making each section, use a design board or a tray to lay out all your pieces and keep it close to your machine.
- Pin for Perfection. I recently learned how to pin a correct corner. When pinning two pieces together, insert a pin about 3/4″ from the corner point on each side. It fits perfectly under the presser foot, without removing either pin. Then sew.
See These Hosts for More Construction Tips
Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — Thanks for stopping by.
Join this QAL
You can join in anytime. Find the complete schedule here. Every Tuesday for the next four weeks, a new block will be released until all 12 blocks have been released. This QAL is divided into three segments each containing four blocks with a two week break between segments for a chance to catch up.
When you finish a block, share it on our Facebook group or post a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #DestinationQAL. We enjoy seeing and commenting on each person’s finished blocks.
Segment Two Prizes
At the end of each segment, a prize package will be offered. Make all four blocks and follow the directions on the Segment wrap-up post to enter to win. We allow for creative changes and embellishments but each block must be made using the given patterns to be eligible.
A one year subscription to Online Quilt Magazine. A must-read for any quilter! It’s packed full of hints, how to’s, projects and more.
And a pattern from each of these designer’s shops:
Jennifer Fulton – One free PDF pattern of your choice
Kathleen McCormick – One free pattern up to a $10.00 value
Laura Piland – One free PDF pattern of your choice
Segment 2: August 10 to September 14
- August 10 – Block 5: Kathleen McCormick @ Kathleen McMusing — Find Block Five There
- August 17 – Block 6: Jennifer Fulton @ The Inquiring Quilter — Find Block Six There
- August 24 – Block 7: Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — Find Block Seven There
- August 31– Block 8: Laura Piland @Slice of Pi Quilts — Find Block Eight There
- August 31– Segment 2 Wrap-up and linky provided for prize entry
- September 14th 7:59 am Eastern time — Deadline to enter picture for Segment 2 Prize
- September 14 – Segment 2 Prize Winner Announced
Don’t Miss Out on My Previous Destination QAL Posts
Tu-Na Quilts: Announcing the Next Quilt-a-Long with Partners in Design —Introduction and a look at my fabric selection.
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block One — Canyon Block
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block Two — Camper Block
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block Three — Fair Block
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block Four — Turtle Beach
What I Learned Today:
- My desk top computer is getting really slow. Maybe it’s time for a shiny new one.
- Maybe I should run a virus/cookie scan first.
- These last two weeks sure went by fast. I almost forgot to write this post.
- Picture captions are not worth the trouble. I can’t get them to align in the center when there is a caption.
- I miss the old WordPress.
Question: Have you traveled by ferry? I’ve traveled by bike, car, boat, motorcycle, plane, train, canoe, and even horse but I’ve never been on a ferry. That’s one experience that I’m still waiting for.
Thanks for stopping by and do come again.
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts
Love your block this week, looks like this will be a fun quilt. Many bloggers that I read and myself included are with you on missing the old WordPress formats. Some have tried work arounds, some have contacted anyone they could and some have walked away. All to no avail. Happy quilting.
I’ve been on the ferry that goes from Manitowoc WI to Michigan right across Lake Michigan – that was a fun chilly ride – also on a more modern ferry Vancouver CA to Vancouver Island – loved that one – been on quite a few out in that area and then a few more smaller ones in the south
Your version is awesome! I love your hints too and some of the new wordpress stuff is so annoying – recently something new happened with blocks that occasionally makes changing text in a paragraph hard…yuk!
What a super block. Thanks for the tips. I can see organization will help!
Great block, Karen. I love your sky fabric with the birds. That’s just perfect.
I’ve never ridden on a ferry. I don’t know how well I would handle riding over the water. I like to watch from dry land!
Pingback: Destination: Quilt Along Block 5! – Powered By Quilting
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 6 | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 7 | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 8 | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Segment Two Wrap-Up | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 9 | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 10 | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 11 | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 12 | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Pingback: Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Segment 3 and Final Wrap-Up | Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats