Welcome to the fourth block reveal
for the Destination QAL!
This QAL is brought to you by Partners in Design: Where Friends and Fabric Meet.
Presenting: Turtle Beach
This 12.5″ (unfinished) block pattern was created by Jennifer Fulton of The Inquiring Quilter. You can download it free on Jennifer’s blog from now until November 16th, 2021 at 7:59 am Eastern time. After then, the patterns in this QAL may not be available anymore or may be available for a small fee through the designer.
Tips and Tricks to Constructing this Block
- Use protection! When fusing applique, always put a Teflon sheet underneath your project as well as over it. This will be especially helpful with this block as part of the turtle hangs off the block and will be cut away after fusing. Save yourself lots of work cleaning your iron or replacing your pressing table cover.
- Work in groups. Trace small pieces that will be used on the same fabric together. Fuse the piece to the fabric as a whole. When you are ready to stick them on the fabric, then cut them out as needed. You will save time having to hunt for those pieces.
- Neatness counts. I don’t backstitch or use the automatic knotter on my machine when starting or stopping each section of applique. I leave long tails of thread and then bring them to the back and double knot and use a needle to weave the end under the stitching. This secures the applique stitch nicely and makes a neat back even when no one will see it. It’s best to stop and knot and hide the ends after each section before stitching more. But I like to live dangerously. So I pay attention to the tails when I’m stitching so I don’t sew over them.
See These Hosts for More Construction Tips
Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — Thanks for stopping by.
Join this QAL
You can join in anytime. Find the complete schedule here. Every Tuesday for the next four weeks, a new block will be released until all 12 blocks have been released. This QAL is divided into three segments each containing four blocks with a two week break between segments for a chance to catch up.
When you finish a block, share it on our Facebook group or post a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #DestinationQAL. We enjoy seeing and commenting on each person’s finished blocks.
At the end of each segment, a prize package will be offered. Make all four blocks and follow the directions on the Segment wrap-up post to enter to win. We allow for creative changes and embellishments but each block must be made using the given patterns to be eligible.
Segment 1: July 6, 2021 to August 10
- July 6 — Block 1: Sandy Maxfield @ Sandy Star Designs — Find Block One There
- July 13— Block 2: April Adams @ JANDA Bend Quilts — Find Block Two There
- July 20 — Block 3: Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On! — Find Block Three There
- July 27 — Block 4: Jennifer Fulton @ The Inquiring Quilter — Find Block Four There
- July 27 — Segment 1 Wrap-up and linky provided for prize entry
- August 10th 7:59 am Eastern time — Deadline to enter picture for Segment 1 Prize
- August 10: Segment 1 Prize Winner Announced
Don’t Miss Out on My Previous Destination QAL Posts
Tu-Na Quilts: Announcing the Next Quilt-a-Long with Partners in Design —Introduction and a look at my fabric selection.
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block One — Canyon Block
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block Two — Camper Block
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block Three — Fair Block
What I Learned Today:
- Take more pictures. I was excited to sew this block and didn’t take many pictures of the process.
- ND has large snapping turtles! We found one on our road yesterday. His shell was about 20″ long. If only I’d learned #1!
Question: Do you travel plans include spending time at a beach? I don’t think there’s any warm sand and water in my future. But one never knows.