Welcome to the Twelfth block reveal
for the Destination QAL!
This QAL is brought to you by Partners in Design: Where Friends and Fabric Meet.
Presenting: Modern Peaks
This 12.5″ (unfinished) block pattern was created by Bobbi Bridgeman @ Snowy Days Quilting. Visit Bobbi’s blog to download this cute pattern. The patterns in this QAL are available free now until November 16th, 2021 at 7:59 am Eastern time. After then, the patterns in this QAL may not be available anymore or may be available for a small fee through the designer.
Tips and Tricks to Constructing this Block
- Be Creative. I love adding something to my blocks to let my personality shine. First, I thought about adding a sun rising between the mountains but just before I pressed it in place, I thought of the perfect thing —Snow Caps! Read why on What I Learned Today found at the end of my post. Reminder: If you are entering our giveaways for the section prizes and for the grand prizes, we allow for creative additions, such as embellishments, but your blocks should still be recognizable as ones made by using the given patterns for this quilt along. However, this is your quilt and if you don’t like something, you are free to use whatever you want. Just be aware that block substitutions won’t count as an entry.
- It’s OK to Change Your Mind. After I first finished sewing this block, I decided I needed to change out the foreground. I just didn’t like those cacti that I cut in half. Ahhh! Much better!
See These Hosts for More Construction Tips
Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — Thanks for stopping by.
Join this QAL
You can join in anytime. Find the complete schedule here. Every Tuesday for four weeks, a new block is released until all 12 blocks have been released. This QAL is divided into three segments each containing four blocks with a two week break between segments for a chance to catch up.
When you finish a block, share it on our Facebook group or post a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #DestinationQAL. We enjoy seeing and commenting on each person’s finished blocks.
Segment 3: September 14 to October 19
- September 14 – Block 9: Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats — Find Block Nine There
- September 21 – Block 10: Becca Fenstermaker @ Pretty Piney Quilts — Find Block Ten There
- September 28 – Block 11: Sherry Shish @ Powered by Quilting — Find Block Eleven There
- October 5 – Block 12: Bobbi Bridgeman @ Snowy Days Quilting — Find Block Twelve There
- October 5 — Segment 3 Wrap-up and linky provided for segment prize and linky provided for Grand Prize
- October 19th 7:59 am Eastern time — Deadline to enter picture for Segment 3 Prize
- October 19th – Segment 3 Winner Announced
Segment Three Prizes
At the end of this segment, a prize package will be offered. Make all four blocks and follow the directions on the Segment wrap-up post to enter to win. We allow for creative changes and embellishments but each block must be made using the given patterns to be eligible. Grand prize giveaway for making all 12 blocks info below.
Six Month Subscription to Make Modern. An online magazine for quilters, by quilters, filled with beautiful patterns and articles to inspire quilters like us to make more modern quilts!
And a pattern from each of these designer’s shops!
Destination QAL Grand Prize
Make all 12 blocks and submit one picture showing all of them on our Facebook page, on Instagram #DestinationQAL, or on the links provided on the Segment 3 and Final Wrap-Up post on any of the host blogs.
Thank you to our sponsors!
Quilter’s Dream Batting is sending the winner a 80/20 Dream Cotton Batting
The perfect blend of 80% high grade long staple USA cotton fiber paired with 20% fine denier poly microfiber for a soft, silky batting.
Island Batik is sending the winner a Fat Quarter Bundle of their Primo Fabric
Island Batik’s mission is to share the ancient cultural art of batik and hand-dyed fabric with our many valued customers around the world.
Don’t Miss Out on My Previous Destination QAL Posts
Tu-Na Quilts: Announcing the Next Quilt-a-Long with Partners in Design —Introduction and a look at my fabric selection.
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 1 — Canyon Block
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 2 — Camper Block
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 3 — Fair Block
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 4 — Turtle Beach
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 6 — Covered Bridge
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 7 — Cityscape designed by Kathleen and I. I sewed two of these).
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 9 — Road Trip designed by me. I sewed three of these.
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 10 — Sign Arrows
Tu-Na Quilts: Destination QAL Block 11 — Hot Air Balloons
Here’s a sneak peak of my finished quilt top as seen on my Segment 3 Wrap-up and Final post that posts today.
What I Learned Today:
- Some people are hard to impress. My sister was not impressed seeing snow on the mountains in AZ when she visited in February of 2019. We had just picked her and her husband up from the airport and took them to see the snow on Four Peaks mountain and on the Superstition mountains. I just couldn’t figure out why they were not impressed. After all, half of Phoenix came out to look at them with us. It’s not like it was as cold out as they had just left back in northern Minnesota. Tu-Na Helper and I were impressed.
Question: Do you prefer to ski down the mountain or hike a trail? We’ve been on lots of hikes in mountains but I have never skied down a hill.
Thanks for stopping by and do come again,
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts
At this time I am not affiliated with any of the products, shops, or services that I mention here on Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats. I just happen to like them.